Clan FTW Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECEIVING DATA.............Hey Nomad, you're still with us? https://twitter.com/Crysis We're back Baby!

Share | 

Suggestion's for a Video card?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Suggestion's for a Video card? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? EmptyFri May 01, 2009 6:58 pm

I need suggestions for a video card to be able to run Crysis Wars, better, my video card.. it does alright, but im a greedy ma-fuka and i am planning on buying a better one so i could run Crysis Wars on the highest of graphics =p

I am not very computer literate but i can give these details...

Ram: 4GB
Processor:AMD Dual core Processor 3.0ghz
Sound card: Creative Xfi-xtreme sound blaster
Mother Board: its like a... pci express something something
Operating System: Vista 64bit

Current Vid Card is a:ATI Radeon, HD, 3700, 512mb something like that.

if someone could explain the attributes of a vid card such as what the 3700 means and whats 512mb in a vid card it would hlp me understand.

Suggestions please?
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? EmptyFri May 01, 2009 8:00 pm

3700 is just the series and model of the card, made by ATI. 'HD' and 'Radeon' expand on that. 512mb is the memory shiznit it has..

ok im not really the best to explain, but generally you gotta look up successive series and models before you worry about how much memory its got going for it. then you gotta compare how well each card can do different things.

when the guys get up im sure theyll have pleeeeeeeenty of suggestoions. in fact, thered be so many it may be worth saying what your budget is and what youll settle for. because a fair few cards can do the highest of graphics, but depends on how many frames you want and how much youre willing to pay.

also, how big is your monitor n what resolution do you run it at?

ATI and NVidia are the leading competitive brands for gpu (graphics cards)

hmm, i just googled ATI vs NVIDIA variations, heres some stuff to look at
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539

gives you a whole bunch of models of GPUs and numbers about stuff they do, im not sure exactly what it all MEANS but any of those models would be able to do it (letters and numbers in blue, Nvidia is at the top , ATI underneath).

so pick one within a price range you want, toss a coin for nvidia or ati, and youre done!
Back to top Go down
GazzFTW

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? EmptyFri May 01, 2009 8:08 pm

depends if ya like ati get 2 4870's Very Happy... or just pretty much wat quacks has lol if u want the very best
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Senior FTW Member
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? EmptyFri May 01, 2009 9:31 pm

How much do u want to spend?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? EmptyFri May 01, 2009 10:01 pm

not sure, ill save for it if i have to... but the ATI Radeon 4970 x2 dont look to bad
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Senior FTW Member
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? EmptySat May 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Get nvidia. Crysis runs better on it i wreakn.

Look at frame rate statistics. of each card out
Back to top Go down
ifweavfnya

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? EmptySun May 03, 2009 3:02 am

I recommend an nvidia card over and ATI. in crysis the GTX260/280 rules supreme, plus its cheaper, drivers come out more often and much more userfriendly than ATI cards, and crysis is optimized for nvidia cards.

CharlieFTW wrote:

Look at frame rate statistics. of each card out

this is what charlies tanking about:

http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts_crysis/

for your rig you dont need more than a GTX260, anything above that is too powerful for the other computer parts. If you really want a performance increase, think about upgrading your CPU to an good intel core 2 duo or quad card (duo will give much better performance for price, but quad is still better) also check this website for parts prices you wont get much cheaper than that unless you know someone who owns a computer store who can give you really cheap prices

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

they have stores around australia in these locations
http://www.msy.com.au/
Back to top Go down
Shinanigans
Shinanigans

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? EmptySun May 03, 2009 6:14 am

Crossfire does shit all in Crysis, so don't bother with more than one ATi card.

Generally the CPU bottleneck in Crysis Wars is so stupidly huge that it doesn't mean shit what video card you get. My GTX285 still drops down to 30fps in heavy firefights, whether its on low or high, it's the CPU that holds it back in Wars. And my CPU? Well, you'd think Crytek would be able to accomodate a 4GHz E8500 but no.

Something like a GTX260 should see you running Wars fine. If you're running at 1920x1200 and like lots of AA and eye candy, go the 285, or if you can afford it the 295.

I just put this thread up on Mycrysis the other night which shows what im talking about;

Quote :
Just bumpin this up with a few more examples i got from tonights game;

Suggestion's for a Video card? Screenshot0007c.th
1920x1200, Medium - 42fps

Suggestion's for a Video card? Screenshot0009b.th
800x600, Medium - 45fps

Suggestion's for a Video card? Screenshot0011l.th
800x600, Low - 48fps

Epic CPU bottleneck... yet my E8500 is sitting at 4GHz with the 4GB of RAM sitting on 850MHz.

Needless to point out that when it dips to 30fps during busy firefights and there's NOTHING that can be done about it, it's extremely disappointing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion's for a Video card?   Suggestion's for a Video card? Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestion's for a Video card?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top