Clan FTW Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECEIVING DATA.............Hey Nomad, you're still with us? https://twitter.com/Crysis We're back Baby!

Share | 

overheated or gfx card fucked?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DaPony
DaPony

overheated or gfx card fucked? Empty
PostSubject: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 11:37 am

hmm shoulda posted AGES ago when it happened but hadnt ever heard of FTW lol
anywayss..
i oced my 9800gtx from 675 to 720. Worked fine, but only played crysis for about 15min before the pc crashed and gfx card fan was spinning at 100% (Scared the shit outta me first time it happened). anyways, PC shop said we needed a new gfx card. The more i think
about it the more i think it just needed to be returned to normal clock speeds :\. can any of you geniuses tell me which one it is?

Back to top Go down
cosmic
Senior FTW Member
cosmic

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 11:42 am

do you monitor the temps? does the card still work? If so put the clocks down to normal and all should be good. I run my fans at 100% all the time on manual. The auto settings are shit and dont ramp up quick enough. I fucked an old 8800GTX b4 by OC it too much and they either dont work at all or have weird fragmentation or lines/dots appear.
Cos.
Shin will give ya some more advice im sure.
Back to top Go down
n vncnRPL

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

NEW HEATY SINK
Back to top Go down
D3coy
FTW Clan Member
D3coy

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 12:57 pm

TULZER FFS...post something intelligent or fuck off... Please quit posting just to see your fucking name everywhere.

Pony...I agree with COS... to add to what he said...get your PC ready in an AC'd room and crank the AC to super high...have a fan standing by and turn the PC on with your OC'd card. If you see it bios post then point the big ass fan you have ready at the PC case (obviously while the case side is off) and then you should have enough time to reset the clocks back to default. If you have an EVGA card you can get their Precision software and it is a real quick process.
Back to top Go down
DaPony
DaPony

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

D3coy wrote:
TULZER FFS...post something intelligent or fuck off... Please quit posting just to see your fucking name everywhere.

Pony...I agree with COS... to add to what he said...get your PC ready in an AC'd room and crank the AC to super high...have a fan standing by and turn the PC on with your OC'd card. If you see it bios post then point the big ass fan you have ready at the PC case (obviously while the case side is off) and then you should have enough time to reset the clocks back to default. If you have an EVGA card you can get their Precision software and it is a real quick process.

ok thanks, it was before the existance of evga precision Sad. Aparently the pc company said replaced the heatsink on it, then found out evidence of oc'ing and just sent it back lol. will try it ill set dads blowervac to blow Smile rofl. hope it works then 9800GTX for physx Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 2:45 pm

What Gpu heatsink have u got is it a standard 1 ,if you can get a dark night that would be the best , and how come is your standard frequency so low it sounds more like a 9800 gt . But you shud still have warranty with the company that you bought it from whats the max temp that u have got the GPU up 2, any thing over 100 deg c will do damage if used for a long period of time.
Back to top Go down
bob
Senior FTW Member
bob

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 2:48 pm

hmmm i run my 8800 gts (pretty much the same thing) at about 770 for crysis. Every now and then it will crash the pc. It should reset the clocks when it crashes, mine does. I use nvidia software to OC mine. And always put the fan up high to keep it cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackrangeoffroad.com.au
DaemonFTW

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 1:14 am

well i just found out that my one fo my 8800GTS's is indesctructible. the stock fan died and was crashing the pc so i ran GPU-Z and found out the Core temp was 160+ C and the PCB was 150+.

so temps alone may not kill it Razz

new zalman VF1000 later and it is 10C cooler than the other stock card (~50C under mild load)

if you can still boot your pc witht eh card and there are no artifacts, the card should be fine. just return it to stock speeds and try again
Back to top Go down
[F_CK] Danielle

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 2:35 am

I'll get pauline to comment. Pauline has extensive overclock experiences with her own pc.
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline.

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Ok Ok I am here...

Before i advise you all on the correct way to OC i need to address some of the myths and general bullshit that i see on this thread..

Cosmic - You say you run your fans at 100% on manual.. no shit sherlock.. if it was auto and it was always on a 100% there would be no fucking point in anything would there.. i expect the extra heat caused by running the fan so fast is what is causing your gpu heat issues.. DICKHEAD

Tulzer - NEW HEAT SINK - Firstly capitols are considered rude and these 3 words are also unhelpful, but most people of your intelligence can't actually communicate at all so 3 words is a sterling effort.. I expect that in your next post you will have learnt to string 4 or more words together.. Also i have heard that you are a keen shopper, Danielle needs a new fag bag shopping partner so please give her a call.

D3coy - omfg you are dumb. You advise to point a big fucking fan at the side of the case with the air con turned up,while the side of the case is off.. if the cock eater was so dumb he needed you to advise that the side of the case needed to be off do you think he could master the other stuff? if you want cold use liquid nitrogen.. air con and fans is just you dreaming about the next gay madi gra photo shoot you are booked in for.

Illicit - anything over 100 degrees is good.. cold cards dont work you faggot. everyone knows that!

Daemon - see! he gets it, 160+ and all is good.. finally some sense.. but why are you using an 8800gt? i thought tetris on high settings fucked with that card..

here is my findings on overclocking gpu's.

1) They fucking love heat so i choose a case that is small and has no actual vents or fans, you don't want a draft to get in.. cold cards don't work! wrap the card in a non burning material if you suspect any drafts are getting in.. gaff tape is good for the little slots at the back..

2) When applying a pencil mod use a HB pencil and make sure you have first cleaned the area you plan to draw on with a small amount of steel wool, i find that when rubbing some of the colour and plastic may come off but keep going these modern cards can take it.

3) When the pencil mod fails make sure you use a large rubber to clean the HB off. I find that you need to rub hard and will most probably bend / break those little cylinder thingy's off but don't worry they generally put a few extra ones on the card specifically for this issue.

4) People will often use SLI or crossfire... using two gpu's is simply small penis syndrome and may also be a way of admitting that you cant afford the card you really want.. 2 8500Gt's will never make up for one 8600GT with a pencil mod!!!!
Back to top Go down
D3coy
FTW Clan Member
D3coy

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:45 pm

As long as you take what that tranny is saying as fucking ignorance with a voice...it could be considered humourous since everything HE (you fucking crossdressing lil boy) said is utter nonsense.
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 5:43 pm

good ol pencil mod
Back to top Go down
GazzFTW

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 6:52 pm

gfx card isnt fucked u are
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 2:01 am

[quote="(F_ck) Pauline."]Ok Ok I am here...

Illicit - anything over 100 degrees is good.. cold cards dont work you faggot. everyone knows that!

Well seen as you say that gfx cards work better at 100 dec c i think that i might just put a heater in my pc case so that i can get the temp up to the correct operating temp that u suggest then, do u think that this might incress my overclokcing potential.

(F_ck) Pauline is so smart, i so wish that i could be a great overcloker like her
Back to top Go down
JasonX

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 6:29 am

Ok I don't have the patience to read all ^^^^^ that but I can tell you that all 9800GTX are fited with a CMOS reset jumper located around there cooling fan. Simply power off the PC move the jumper across one then back to the previous position. This should set the card to default clocks. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.customline-computers.com
(F_ck) Pauline.

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:53 am

Oh Jason you are a fool boy!

CMOS = Cant Manage Oral Sex

So if you need a jump start in this area maybe this forum is not suited to you.

Also if you owned a proper card (9800 cough cough) you would soon learn that HEAT is the key..

The hotter the better.. This will even work for your oral sex issues... good luck..
Back to top Go down
D3coy
FTW Clan Member
D3coy

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:19 am

CAN YOU SAY ANYTHING INTELLIGENT?
Back to top Go down
ColdPreacher
ColdPreacher

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:31 am

^^+1
i thought i was stupid =='
Back to top Go down
DaPony
DaPony

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:33 am

D3coy wrote:

umm have they EVER said anything intelligent?
BTW can i have a more specific location on the CMOS jumper? BTW what does it look like (dun pick on me for this Sad )

Last edited by DaPony on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shinanigans
Shinanigans

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:33 am

JasonX wrote:
Ok I don't have the patience to read all ^^^^^ that but I can tell you that all 9800GTX are fited with a CMOS reset jumper located around there cooling fan. Simply power off the PC move the jumper across one then back to the previous position. This should set the card to default clocks. Good luck.
Whut? Graphics cards don't have batteries on them, so they can't store information, unless you do it through means of flashing/updating the BIOS. Never heard of having to change jumper settings to flash a card... might be something new? /shrug Smile

If you're talking about the two pin connector as pictured here, that's an audio connection: http://www.futurelooks.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/foxconn_9800_007.jpg

If that's ^ not what you're talking about, can you get me a pic plz? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
D3coy
FTW Clan Member
D3coy

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:40 pm

+1 to what Shin said, but to add... Grfx cards are equipped with eeproms so no batt needed to store the clock settings.
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline.

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 1:13 pm

D3coy wrote:

I could if you like...

Let me see... i could explain the way light escapes from a black hole through what is called a white hole... or for the non university trained you can just use google like all the other dopey freaks..

I could advise you on how to swing a golf club - My handicap is 3 - but like i say, a game of golf is just a good excuse for a 5 hour chat with a good friend..

I could tell you all about raising silkie chickens.. they are very cute .. like little fluffy emu's..

I could explain the finer details of fishing for Queenfish at cape york, just near Seisa where i lived with the injinoo aboriginal tribe, eating dugong and turtle while learning how to speak the language and helping them with biodiversity issues and fishing management... or i could just make obscene uninformed racists jokes like you...

Or due to this being a gaming site and due to you being a cock eating fag with nothing to offer i could just say get fucked you ignorant cunt...

But that would be rude? so lets just agree to be enemies?
Back to top Go down
JasonX

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 3:37 pm

All right I'll make this simple with a nice picture to explain.

Your are right it HASN'T got a battery but it DOES have a reset jumper just like the one on your motherboard.

overheated or gfx card fucked? JUMPER
Back to top Go down
JasonX

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 3:39 pm

MS Paint FTW ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Each manufacturer will have a different heat sink so the position/type of jumper may differ.
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 6:17 pm

omg i never knew that before jasonx

fuckin sweet, cheers brah.
Back to top Go down
D3coy
FTW Clan Member
D3coy

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Jason.. My wife's vid card is my old 9800GTX and there isn't a jumper. Think that was a galaxy add-on m8.
Back to top Go down
Shinanigans
Shinanigans

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 4:35 am

You obviously didn't understand the purpose behind the battery comment. The reason you have a CMOS reset jumper on your motherboard is to bridge the + and - on the CMOS battery in order to sever the connection and thus reset the CMOS to factory defaults...

Now that you've shown a pic of what you were talking about i can see that it's a 3-pin jumper/switch. After a quick google i can tell you it's not a "CMOS reset" jumper but infact a dual-BIOS switch, which allows you to select an alternate BIOS incase one corrupts. This is not available on all 9800GTX's as you stated, and seems to be something only Galaxy do.
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 4:44 am

Shinanigans wrote:
...This is not available on all 9800GTX's as you stated, and seems to be something only Galaxy do.

Go Go GadgetShins!!
Back to top Go down
JasonX

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 2:36 am

ROFL. <<<< Nuff said. *Runs away crying wif tail between his leg's*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: overheated or gfx card fucked?   overheated or gfx card fucked? Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top