Clan FTW Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECEIVING DATA.............Hey Nomad, you're still with us? https://twitter.com/Crysis We're back Baby!

Share | 

What's a good network monitoring program?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

What's a good network monitoring program? Empty
PostSubject: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:27 am

So I'm capped with a day or two til it resets, and thats just annoying.
I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good programs that monitor network usage so i can see where all the bandwidth gets sucked up.

I'm talking about monitoring from my computer, which isn't directly connected to the router, across a network of 4 computers + a PS3 and Xbox360
It doesn't bother me necessarily if I cant see EXACTLY what is chewing it up, but if i can see how many megabytes are being downloaded by each computer over a period of time, particularly if i can get some trends then that would be handy.

I think someone mentioned in a thread that EVEREST was good but I don't know if this is what I want.

Cheers in advance.
-Doggy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:43 am

you'd have to have the entire network routed thru your computer to do it, otherwise it depends on your routers options.
Back to top Go down
Gone_TroppoFTW
Senior FTW Member
Gone_TroppoFTW

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:26 am

DU meter , is apparently quite good for a free program, one of my work mates is always asking if i've used it yet and that I should blah blah....(still haven't used it)

Google is your friend theres plenty of free programs that do this kind of bandwidth monitoring stuff.

Everest is more for monitoring / Bench marking your PC hardware, CPU, GFX, RAM and Mother board temps, voltages and % usage.
Everest also has a good system stress tester,

Last edited by Gone_TroppoFTW on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:27 am

hmmm
guess better wait til that new internet plan finally gets implemented, whenever this current contract ends.

cheers anyways

EDIT: ta tropps ill go check this stuff out more
Back to top Go down
bob
Senior FTW Member
bob

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 am

who is your ISP doggy
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackrangeoffroad.com.au
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 11:12 am

bob wrote:
who is your ISP doggy

optus

i want to change to internode, should be soon hopefully
Back to top Go down
bob
Senior FTW Member
bob

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 12:16 pm

I know node have there own bandwidth meter. But it only does total usage compared to quota. It doesnt do seperate network connections.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 12:41 pm

run resmon on all the machines and learn what processes and what services use bandwidth and when. if thats not it id look up xbox net usage and find out which ports to limit
Back to top Go down
Virtuoso X

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:31 am

Troppo, i downloaded DU meter, it works awsomly! Id recomend it Dog, i think for it to monitor ur consoles too, since there on the router, connect to them to one network and see if they appear in the DU options / general not sure if it would work, but worth a try.

Also, the high end routers such as Belkin, have their own monitoring program but its not cheap.
some routers allow you to monitor / limit bandwidth of everyone on the network.

(p.s if u want full version of DU meter, lemme know)

(p.p.s node wont lemme have Adsl2+ >Sad)
Back to top Go down
Lord White

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 3:08 am

I hear renting the cables works good too.
Back to top Go down
Gone_TroppoFTW
Senior FTW Member
Gone_TroppoFTW

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 7:51 am

Hey dog, found another one for you that may be more suitable for what you are trying to capture

PRTG traffic grapher

also a free download version available, again easy to find using google.
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 pm

hmm DUmeter works only on the comp thats installed, and ditto for resmon. i dont have access to install on at least one of the computers on the network, which means im not getting the complete picture. also it wouldnt help monitor things like PS3 updates and what not.

Gone_TroppoFTW wrote:
Hey dog, found another one for you that may be more suitable for what you are trying to capture

PRTG traffic grapher

also a free download version available, again easy to find using google.

just googled it, sounds good. ill download it and see how i go.

already, once again my downloads were almost 2 days into deficit, but are now equal. 26% through downloads, 26% through time left.

BTW today i signed up for internode, so when it gets processed and activated (hopefully within about 5-10ish days) ill have moved over to ADSL2+. i dont have any new hardware for it but it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes. then ill go get a new modem and possibly router.
Back to top Go down
Virtuoso X

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 5:16 pm

your dog wrote:

...i signed up for internode, so when it gets processed and activated (hopefully within about 5-10ish days) ill have moved over to ADSL2+. i dont have any new hardware for it but it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes. then ill go get a new modem and possibly router.

damn node wont lemme do ADSL2+ in my suburb =(
Back to top Go down
bob
Senior FTW Member
bob

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:42 am

Try iinet. The next best.
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Senior FTW Member
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 5:18 am

Yeah, i have been having the same trouble too dawg. A program in which i can monitor each computers usage and having the ability to cap them to a certain amount of quota would be awsome. I'm not sure if i can do it with my router. But the programs offered to you by internode, only monitor the Quota and the days remaining. Also the amount used per day. It doesnt have the one we are looking for and im stuck in the same boat too. I want to restricted the amount of downloads for the other computers. 5 in total in my house. It's almost like a net cafe.

i'll give DU meter a shot after the roll over.
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 8:59 am

haha yeh charlie, im the only one in the house that knows anything about comps.

internode apparently cant get a dial tone with my landline, fucking annoying. i called and they said i should try asking optus to make sure the service is activated, or telstra. ill have to do that on monday. until that gets resolved, no new net =[
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Senior FTW Member
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:18 pm

Well....

I was searching through new torrents in Rev TT, and had stumbled upon a program called "Bandwidth controller Enterprise". A program that can put place this Bandwidth system that were looking for.

http://bandwidthcontroller.com/enterprise.html

I got the torrent from Rev TT. Have not downloaded it yet due to exceeding my bandwidth. But you can give it a go. If you have problems finding a full version PM me and we can sort something out.

Smile

Last edited by CharlieFTW on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:42 pm

i get the feeling id need to run the net through my computer, and other comps would have to connect through mine for this to work.

let me know what its like when you can get it, if so i wouldnt mind obtaining a copy
cheers charlie =D
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 am

yeah im gonna have to explore some more, SOME FUCKING HOW since yesterday to right now (8pm fri to 7pm today) 3.6 gigabytes have been downloaded. its fucking put us into 8 days defiicit and thats fucking BULLSHIT, and i havent been here so fucking someone must have.

argh so angry!

if i find something good that works ill let you know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's a good network monitoring program?   What's a good network monitoring program? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's a good network monitoring program?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top