Clan FTW Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECEIVING DATA.............Hey Nomad, you're still with us? https://twitter.com/Crysis We're back Baby!

Share | 

Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
[F_CK] Danielle

Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? Empty
PostSubject: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 am

Hello FTW (Maybe Cosmic, Lilboots and any other Nvidia techo's ?)

Can I use my older nVidia 880GT card for PhysX & How ?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Pauline is in bed with ATI, so I trust you are alot more reliable.

I have upgraded my graphics card to a Nvidia GTX 275
I had 2 x 8800 GT in SLI until 1 died, thus the upgrade

So now I have a spare 8800 GT (and NO wounded you can't have it !)

I have a EVGA 780i board so I can see spare slots on the mainboard.
If this can be done, I slot in the old 8800GT into the same slot it was before when it was in SLI right ?
And I shouldn't use the SLI bridge right ?

Do I need to do anything else ?
Like any settings in the nvidia control panel... etc ?
Back to top Go down
[F_CK] Danielle

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:51 am

Hello Wounded

Thanks for the quick reply, but I already took a page out of your clan recruitment application thought process and said the famous axe wound response " N-O "
Like sex and drugs... no means NO.

Also I am clean, no flies on me.
one day you'll see. You'll have the proof that I am a girl.

Finally, you are getting your own upgrade ?
will it be some kind of super duper pc that will put lilboots pc to shame ?
I can't keep up with all the technobabble from you all but I understand that your pc performance is like comparing penis size so I hope that you get what you want and it's performance is like the southpark movie title... "Bigger, longer and uncut" or something like that.
Back to top Go down
bob
Senior FTW Member
bob

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 9:23 am

Yes you can use the 8800 series as a physx card. Thats what i will be doing too when I upgrade.

Put the 8800 card in your secondary Pci-e 16 slot. (As some motherboards secondary 16slots are x4 or x8 or like primary x16, You want your main Gpu in your primary slot, check your motherboard stats or google because I dont know shit about the science behind it)

You dont need the sli bridging for physx cards. Then I think the setting is in the nVida control panel.

Someone will correct me if im wrong Very Happy

Goodluck
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackrangeoffroad.com.au
cosmic
Senior FTW Member
cosmic

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 9:58 am

Bob is 100% correct just leave it in the secondary pci slot, nvidia control panel will detect it, select "set PhysX GPU acceleration" to enable and select the 8800 from the drop down list. It works a treat on all Unreal engined games. Not many other engines use physx. The handy thing is you can now run four monitors if you want lol. But seriously if you run a second monitor put it off of the physx card to free up the primary to do its thang Wink

cos.
Back to top Go down
bob
Senior FTW Member
bob

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 am

Ooh good to know about running the second monitor, thats also apart of my upgrade plans.
Back to top Go down
[F_CK] Danielle

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 am

Thanks bob & Cosmic, the assistance is much appreciated
Back to top Go down
[F_CK] Danielle

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 4:56 am

Hello wounded, your comments are always welcome.
Looking back at all the verbal mud slinging between us and FTW on this forum has provided the most entertaining reading to pass time at work.

What I don't get is that your status is Non-Active FTW Member but you are the MOST active on these forums as proven by your post count.
Back to top Go down
Lithius

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 am

Someone's gotta be the Cunt and keep the forums in check hey Wounded...lol
Back to top Go down
bob
Senior FTW Member
bob

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 6:11 am

Wounded just likes the look of his own text, not dissimilar to boots liking the sound of his own voice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lithius

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 9:08 am

At least there would be enjoyment from both parties involved aye Bob Razz
Back to top Go down
Lilboots

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 6:50 am

from wat i know you can, i tried it but had a conflict in drivers, not smart enough to do it
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilbooty.com
[F_CK] Danielle

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 1:37 am

Hello Cosmic, Bob & lilboots, oh and wounded too

It works ! I installed the extra graphics card and everything still works, except for crazy machines 2
That asked to reinstall the program because te PhysX.dll was missing ? Oh well I can do that.

You were right Cosmic, the computer found the extra hardware and the nvidia control panel popped up and allowed me to set the PhysX to either card.

I didn't notice any major changes though, except that my black box felt alot warmer than before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 am

Yea using a Phyx card dose heat up ur system a bit, if u take a look at you 8800 it shud be at 80-90 deg c that why i took my 9800 gtx + out didnt seem to do any thing for crysis or any other game realy. just uses more power might come handy in winter.
Back to top Go down
cosmic
Senior FTW Member
cosmic

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:39 am

yeah as i said only games that use the unreal engine have physx......so its usually just sitting there heating up acting as a heater like Illicit said when using games like crysis lol.

here's a list of supported games:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/physx_good_company.html
Back to top Go down
[F_CK] Danielle

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyMon May 17, 2010 7:38 am

Hello FTW & Nvidia users

I was curious, when installing an additional video card for SLI, does the additional video card have to be the same brand and same card ?
example, I have the gtx 275 but I think it is just reference specifications.
To SLI does the card have to be the exact same model, brand and specifications ?

I think the videocard must be the same model but I wasn't sure about the rest, like can one card be reference and the other factory overclocked/ super clocked or whatever increase in performance the factory has done to it ?

Sorry I am re-using an old post/ thread. For some reason it is taking a long time to show the new post screen.
Back to top Go down
cosmic
Senior FTW Member
cosmic

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyMon May 17, 2010 11:38 am

Dan they dont have to be same brand....only same model ie GTX275 and same core clock. Not sure about a factory OC'd card...should be ok you can always downclock it to match the stock GPU! But gettn the stock card to run in sli at the OC'd cards speed may cause issues.

Cos.
Back to top Go down
Virtuoso X

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyMon May 17, 2010 11:46 am

nVidia FTW
Back to top Go down
=VTZ= Steveo
=VTZ= Steveo

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:29 am

Question, can you have a main ati card and then still have a dedicated phyx card of nvidia? Cause I thought this may be a gwd thing cause I have quite a few games on the supported list, but I don't want to buy another nvidia card, me likes ati's power!!!
Back to top Go down
http://vityaz-gaming.com
Virtuoso X

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:31 am

Back to top Go down
=VTZ= Steveo
=VTZ= Steveo

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:30 am

Woot!!! Now to purchase a cheap nvidia card. Curses why did I sell my old 8800gt. Well I'll find one and try and get it working. Should be fun lol. geek
Back to top Go down
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 3:35 am

i should bring out the 8800gts then
Smile
Back to top Go down
Virtuoso X

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 3:42 am

=VTZ= Steveo wrote:
Woot!!! Now to purchase a cheap nvidia card. Curses why did I sell my old 8800gt. Well I'll find one and try and get it working. Should be fun lol. geek

Nvidia have released some updates that ddont allow it to work with ATi i think if u download <180 drivers it should work fine. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
=VTZ= Steveo
=VTZ= Steveo

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:29 am

Aww wat thats bullshit, typical nvidia stunt. Maby i won't buy an nvidia card now. Cause if it don't wrk its not worth the waste of money.
Back to top Go down
Virtuoso X

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 12:40 pm

=VTZ= Steveo wrote:
Aww wat thats bullshit, typical nvidia stunt. Maby i won't buy an nvidia card now. Cause if it don't wrk its not worth the waste of money.

would work fine with the old drivers Very Happy im sure you can find a work around if you search online.
Back to top Go down
=VTZ= Steveo
=VTZ= Steveo

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:52 am

Yeah probably. I really really want a new pc prodject to work on but I needa save for uni Sad. I am so bored with my almost perfect rig at the moment. Any other ideas I could do that would be a challenge and cheap?
Back to top Go down
Virtuoso X

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Troppo
Quote :
If you mix nvidia and ati youll be sorry
best thing to do is go GTX480 Sli =D i my self am thinking of using 1 GX480 and 1 GTX260 For physx. but still guna do my research on weather to get a ati 5970 or 480...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?   Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I use my older nVidia card for PhysX & How ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top