Clan FTW Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECEIVING DATA.............Hey Nomad, you're still with us? https://twitter.com/Crysis We're back Baby!

Share | 

Suggestions For a Media PC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

Suggestions For a Media PC Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 6:36 am

Hi Guys

I am about to make a media center pc.

My thoughts are

- Dual Tuner hd pci card
- Core 2 duo
- Montherboard with hdmi and optical
- 4 gb ram

Can anyone advise if i am on the right track?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 6:39 am

Plex.
Back to top Go down
Dessicrater
Senior FTW Member

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 am

wtf is plex? like a shorter suplex or something

what case have you got in mind? I would geuss some sort of wierd fucking case with boobs or dick somewhere on it, like those mice and pad you were showing off
Back to top Go down
NanoSnipeFTW
Senior FTW Member
NanoSnipeFTW

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:27 am

Get a mac or macbook pro etc. The things are designed for video/picture editing etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:05 pm

yeah get a mac if you want to spend 6x the computers actual worth on it.

You dont need shit to run a media centre. buy a fuckin laptop and a drobo and run Plex through a mac OS. my mate does that with 2x drobos and 6tb of media including a shitload of 720 and 1080 rips, runs it thru plex off a logitech universal remote, can control the thing with his fkn iphone lol. plasma and 5.1 surround and your set.
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Senior FTW Member
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:53 pm

NanoSnipeFTW wrote:
Get a mac or macbook pro etc. The things are designed for video/picture editing etc.

I happen to work in the Audio visual department at david jones selling computers also.

In regards to finding the right PC for you. As suggested by these boys, if your intentions are to specifically use it for media purposes Mac notebooks are your best buy.

Perhaps order online on there website. Custom make your mac there. much easier. It will give you more info into what your putting into your computer. depending on how powerful, or your budget. Check it out http://store.apple.com/au
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 7:01 pm

if you want a computer to just play some music and video, then its not the computer youd need to spend heaps of money on because only so much money will change so much

my desktop cost less than a grand to build and would easily cover alot of things, better yet you'd want a small computer that doesnt suck up much power, doesnt need huge fans or anything.

if its only doing one thing at a time, 2gb DDR2 ram is plenty, a cheap dual core cpu would do fine.
the quality comes from the output devices and what you hook it up too, and how all your media files are encoded.
the computer itself will be more than powerful enough, so something small and easy to look after is your best bet

i got a TV tuner for $69 or so from Jb Hifi but had to buy one of their $40 coaxial antennas cause the tiny piece of shit one that came with it was.. too tiny. so just any antena plugs in and thats a USB tuner, does HD and everything, picks up all the channels perfectly.

your biggest cost will be a motherboard that supports HDMI out so cut costs on what you dont need.
(try to avoid those that require large power and what not because thats unnecessary)
that way you can also use the money on big fast harddrives to actually hold all the media you need as well

that'd be my advice, unless thats not the kind of computer youre after.
Back to top Go down
win
win

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:33 am

you'll also need some sort of video card (don't need a great one) if you plan to watch 720p/1080p movies, because most onboard video can't handle it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:54 am

it should just have to buffer more frames, i have a gtx295 and have to buffer 5-10 seconds anyway. but thats on the xformers rip thats like 11gb
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 3:33 am

FUCK ME IN THE ASS

Maybe i need to be a little clearer..

Firstly to all the mac fans.. I used to work with macs and i didn’t mind them, they never had bsod because they were too busy showing me the bomb or the green bug before they froze and all your auto scripts were fucked but if you want to get into the cost of a macbook pro vs the actual components bought separately and built into a non sexy box you will soon see how fucking stupid and shallow you mac fans are.. I understand that people are generally dumb and believe that a sexy looking laptop with a shit graphics card should be 4k just because a old dying Steve jobs says its cool.. fair enough but i suspect these people also think that photoshop will not run on windows and an extra 2gb of ram should cost 200 bucks... fucking losers.. but hey most people are dumb and at least apple make money from them..

Dessi, You seem to have me confused with that tart Danielle she is the boobs and dick case modder.. but i will keep this in mind when i build it and may add some type of vibrator in your honour.

As for a video cards i have an 8500gt with a pencil mod, a 9800gt with hdmi out, and a 48 fucking 70 so get fucked and stop talking about video cards..

Dogboy - you are at least thinking close to the mark but once again you show your uneducated side by assuming i only want to play video and music can't you fucking read? My first post the first point DUAL TUNER HD PCI CARD i assume you only got 95% of the required oxygen at birth..

WIN - Lets talk about 1080p shall we.. you sir are a dropkick, this may be hard to take on board but i will try and be gentle, the torrents you are downloading called Transformers 2 CAM from axxo and the like are NOT 1080p they are generally 700mb divx shit. Currently the only way to get true 1080p not 1080i or up converted dvd shit is to get a blue ray player, IF you don't have a PS3 or equivalent blue ray player your 1080p tv is a giant waste of fucking money and you may as well buy a macbook pro for your media centre, why stop at wasting 3k on your tv when you can also waste another 4k on a laptop without a blue ray player. You should change your name to loser

Lets talk about me for a while..I am building my own, i have found a motherboard with hdmi and optical out, please don't even fucking start about playing movies and divx as this is the most simple brain dead part of it, you simply transfer through the wireless network all the fucking torrented movies and fucking press play.. you dumb fucking mac fans I could even do that from a zune of all things..

Now my main question is that with a dual tuner to record two channels at the same time or record one and watch another do i need a core 2 duo or will any p4 chip do the job?

Do i want a tuner card that converts to mpeg2 onboard or should i get a cheaper one and let the processor do the encoding?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 3:53 am

lol shows how much you know. blu-ray rips are easy as shit to get, i havent downloaded a divx in over 6 months.
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 4:00 am

You are a fucking dumb fucking tosser

They are massive files and your shitty internet connection is so fucked you don't even bother, If i waant to watcha movie i want to watch it right fucking now not in 3 days after ive downloaded it.
Back to top Go down
Dessicrater
Senior FTW Member

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 4:17 am

get the condom outta your ass lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 4:20 am

Lol thats why you dont use a shitty home connection to get them. 3-11gb is hardly considered a massive file anymore anyway.
Back to top Go down
ColdPreacher
ColdPreacher

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 4:36 am

yeh. most games and movies are going up in file size nowadays.

12gb just aint enuf these days too. looking at probs 20+ as a minimum. i got 60gb yet i get capped within the fortnight
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 am

i got 20gb cap but with internode games and internet radio and all kinds of shit dont count towards it. i could download everything on steam and it wouldnt make a difference xD. Get all my bluray rips thru mates who all have drobos and various other archives. millions of movies and shows though, fucking bitch to sort it all out but thats where plex comes in handy.
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 4:59 am

Hey Tra

In my town a 3 - 11 Gb file IS STILL considered a massive file especially when video ezy is soo ezyyy..

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND GET BACK ON TOPIC!

Geez i sound like one of the ftw members...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:11 am

Lol, video ezy. i remember video stores. from like, the early 90's.
Back to top Go down
ColdPreacher
ColdPreacher

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:13 am

CPU: C2D E5300 or a E7200
TUNER: Dual TV Tuner
OPTICAL: Blu Ray burner
CASE: A good Silverstone lay down type case
PSU: 600watt....something quiet
GFX: you can get a decent nvidia 8'''' series or a ATi 4'''' series, unless you want hDMI
RAM: 2gb is good enuf
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:54 am

Seems like Syler is on the ball, thanks mate.

Tra i know love video ezy stores, i sometimes see you in them hiring britney spears concert dvd's.

What is plex?
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:56 am

Dessicrater wrote:
get the condom outta your ass lol

Oh Shit, Thanks Dessi, i was wondering what that was, it was kinda cold but kinda annoying at the same time..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:57 am

its an awesome application for browsing and watching your media. providing you have shitloads of it.
http://www.plexapp.com/
Back to top Go down
win
win

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 6:19 am

(F_ck) Pauline.. wrote:
FUCK ME IN THE ASS
Dogboy - you are at least thinking close to the mark but once again you show your uneducated side by assuming i only want to play video and music can't you fucking read? My first post the first point DUAL TUNER HD PCI CARD i assume you only got 95% of the required oxygen at birth..

WIN - Lets talk about 1080p shall we.. you sir are a dropkick, this may be hard to take on board but i will try and be gentle, the torrents you are downloading called Transformers 2 CAM from axxo and the like are NOT 1080p they are generally 700mb divx shit. Currently the only way to get true 1080p not 1080i or up converted dvd shit is to get a blue ray player, IF you don't have a PS3 or equivalent blue ray player your 1080p tv is a giant waste of fucking money and you may as well buy a macbook pro for your media centre, why stop at wasting 3k on your tv when you can also waste another 4k on a laptop without a blue ray player. You should change your name to loser

Sorry, you're wrong. You can merely download 1080p rips from people who DO have blue ray players. For your information, i don't even have a tv, i watch all my tv on my computer (including 1080p rips).
Back to top Go down
Dessicrater
Senior FTW Member

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 6:36 am

you know what, gimme that condom so I can wrap it over my head and commit suicide
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 6:40 am

But you dont do that do you win, you download cheap ass cams of movies taken in a malaysian cinema with an annoying drinks waiter that keeps getting in the way.

Admitting that you can't afford a tv is not realy part of this discussion win. i will lend you a couple of dollars to start you off..

You tell me how quickly you can download a 1080p rip and i will match you with quick drive to blockbuster!

So you can suck my tubes baby!
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 6:42 am

Dessi, you want a used condom out of ass to put over your head? Surely there is a better way..maybe just ask Danielle to spend the night with you, that would do anyone's head in.
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 6:49 am

TraeliumFTW wrote:
its an awesome application for browsing and watching your media. providing you have shitloads of it.
http://www.plexapp.com/

Thanks Tra,

When i have a labotomy and lose my basic budgeting skills i will buy a mac and sit back and not play any games and turn gay!
Back to top Go down
Dessicrater
Senior FTW Member

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 6:51 am

the mixture of deadly doodle acids and no air will be a quick and almost painless end for me after trying to divulge all the poo on this thread.

Just get what syler said expect better ram which is important for faster loads (Important when startin up the media pc) and better access times for files and loading programs. Also a fast H/D would be good but fast usually means less storage so if possible try fit two (one for the OS and programs & one for mass storage.)

The ATI Sapphire 4850 comes with hdmi adaptors

Last edited by Dessicrater on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 am

Thank The Lord

Dessi, you legend

I will save all used condoms for you from now on.

I may even be able to get Danielle horny for you!
Back to top Go down
ColdPreacher
ColdPreacher

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 7:00 am

oh yeh forgot to mention HDD in my post lol.

look at a 10000rpm as they aren't that expensive nowadays. much faster then ur basic hdd. put like a basic 8gb hdd for ur os and maybe a 1tb-1.5tb for media storage if ur planning to record alot of shit

+1 to what dessi said actualy, valid point look at 3gb or 4gb.
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 7:06 am

If i get this thing up and running i will invite all of you over for a movie night!!

Then you can have a drink say hi or simply slap me in the face on the way in, or stick a knife in my eye as one of you once pointed out.

Do you all like wine and steak?

Do any of you live near Sydney?

Would anyone actually turn up?
Back to top Go down
ColdPreacher
ColdPreacher

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 7:07 am

i like steak,

i live in melbourne

cbf going all the way to sydney
Back to top Go down
Dessicrater
Senior FTW Member

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 7:08 am

Id be worried about the movie selections...broke back mountain is on my no list for viewing haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 7:26 am

once again id like to point out that my 4x1tb 7200rpm barracuddas with the dell raid controller rip the shit out of raptors in speed.
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 7:40 am

but Tra you forget i am rich, i will buying 20 80GB solid state drives....

So you may also suck my tubes baby!
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 am

Doesnt take much to flush out the axe,

Hi Axe

I already own a fishing shack, a turbo car and an ati 48 fucking 70?

So i assume i meet your criteria, are you coming to my bbq
Back to top Go down
Dessicrater
Senior FTW Member

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:09 am

house cunts = hard to get rid of once they get in
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 am

Fuck Me!

You want a house cunt? is that what you want axe..

I will buy a fucking house then.. a big cunt of a house.. with a BIG BBQ.

Will you then cum ?

I feel violated
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:45 am

Oh One more thing before we get way off topic...

Some tuners convert to mpeg2 on the card and some don't.

What is best and why do i care?

Oh i forgot to say i was contemplating an expensive card from hoapoage (Can't spell it but sounds like Hopog) and a cheap as shit 40 buck one... i went for the cheap one.. dual hd tuners 49 dollars drive away..

ps; i have actually for the first time ever got some good information and help from you cock eaters.. and i am still banned !!

Seriously thanks..and i appologise to kelly as usual for everything.
Back to top Go down
(F_ck) Pauline..
(F_ck) Pauline..

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:18 am

TraeliumFTW wrote:
once again id like to point out that my 4x1tb 7200rpm barracuddas with the dell raid controller rip the shit out of raptors in speed.

Tra you fucking downsyndrome amphibian

What about 4 raptors with a raid or baptists with a braid?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:49 am

what about them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions For a Media PC   Suggestions For a Media PC Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions For a Media PC

View previous topic View next topic Back to top