Clan FTW Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECEIVING DATA.............Hey Nomad, you're still with us? https://twitter.com/Crysis We're back Baby!

Share | 

Better Wars Performance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shinanigans
Shinanigans

Better Wars Performance Empty
PostSubject: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyThu May 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey guys, as some of you may have already seen over on the Node forums, i've been working on revamping the Crysis Wars maps and making them run a shittonne better. I'm just wondering if there's a decent backing for this and whether or not players are interested in getting better performance from the game or they're happy with how it runs now? Just gauging whether or not it's worthwhile continuing...

You can check out the results from some of the work so far here: http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=209&t=164234
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyThu May 21, 2009 2:52 pm

anything to reduce lag!
but id blame my ISP for that, framewise i guess pushing what i can out of my 8800GT without actually touching the card itself is always good

btw in these pics here:

Better Wars Performance Noshadows
Better Wars Performance Shadowskaz

i feel like saying the one WITH shadows looks 'photoshopped' because when you think about it, they are REALLY BAD SHADOWS!
the ones in the corridor are okish, but in that main room with the racks its all directly overhead lighting yet THERES A DARK SHADOW GOING INTO THE CORNER!! why? theres still a ligh overhead, just.. just.. its retarded

and to be honest i didnt actually notice the shadows missing initially.. amazing performance difference. but that would differ between cards i think?
so 50/50 for against, the suggestion of reducing some seems like a good idea because with no shadows at all things look silly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyThu May 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Better Wars Performance Xmple

i hate shadows too.
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyThu May 21, 2009 3:23 pm

at least everythings alot smoother n cleaner on High so youre less likely to notice imperfections but how good it looks
Back to top Go down
Shinanigans
Shinanigans

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyThu May 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Trae, you're also changing shaders from high to medium in those shots too Razz

I kept shadows in because it was no good having 300fps indoors and then 100fps outdoors, may as well have 100fps in both indoors and outdoors and have indoors looking really nice.

The reason those shadows are like that your dog is because there's only 1 light in that room. The lights you can see are just brushes that don't actually emit any light, they just look bright. If i were to put one actual light for every light you can see in that room you'd get about 10fps. Razz

So any more support for the continuation?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:18 am

medium? thats max all with 16xQ
Back to top Go down
Shinanigans
Shinanigans

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyFri May 22, 2009 6:15 am

Trae, what i was saying is that in the top screenshot you're running medium shaders, in the bottom screenshot you're running high or very high (can't tell) shaders. You haven't just changed shadows Smile When you force AA on it automatically enables High shaders. Don't confuse Shadows with Shaders.

Wounded, that sounds pretty good mate. I have no dramas at all putting the work in, so long as the end result is that the maps actually get played and i too can enjoy a little less laggier Crysis Wars Smile As for Beach, i'm not too sure everyone will like the changes i've made to the actual map, not just the performance increase. There's a few additions i regretfully put in towards the beginning of the exercise that i can't undo now. Who knows, maybe people will like it more, but Beach is a map that i've modified as well as made perform better. All the other maps i've played with though are unmodified. Instead they're just made to perform better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyFri May 22, 2009 6:47 am

man im a gfx and 3d artist and don't really get what you're talking about Lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyFri May 22, 2009 8:02 am

im assuming shaders in crysis are what gives materials specular and emission factors?
Back to top Go down
Shinanigans
Shinanigans

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:37 am

Wounded, i've got a few IA maps that have a fair bit of an increase. Treehouse averages a 40% increase in framerate... it's insane. Very Happy For PS i'd say probably Crossroads is my best work so far, i still haven't played with a fair few of the maps yet though.

As for the above screenies; here's all 4 preset modes compared: http://img188.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1low.jpg

The main contributor to "High" is the inclusion of HDR. Futher draw distances and better quality shadows are also included Smile
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptyFri May 22, 2009 12:47 pm

Shinanigans wrote:
I kept shadows in because it was no good having 300fps indoors and then 100fps outdoors, may as well have 100fps in both indoors and outdoors and have indoors looking really nice.

The reason those shadows are like that your dog is because there's only 1 light in that room. The lights you can see are just brushes that don't actually emit any light, they just look bright. If i were to put one actual light for every light you can see in that room you'd get about 10fps. Razz

So any more support for the continuation?

what you first said makes sense, i agree

what you said secondly also makes perfect sense, and is a nice shortcut that im pretty sure has been around since like Goldeneye so thanks for bringing it up lol

YES PLEASE CONTINUE smoother is better
but, remember itll eat heaps of your time up so i hope you dont mind =[

btw shins hasnt said anything really confusing yet, maybe you are just too used to being able to click links mid sentence to help understand whats being said?
Back to top Go down
ColdPreacher
ColdPreacher

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptySat May 30, 2009 2:36 am

abouts ur maps shins

me, lithius, flubberguts were on my server yesterday. and we noticed on like training therre was terrain large enuf to place about 30-40 more frkn training maps on it.

i was kind of curious as to whether you were gonna take all that extra shit surrounding the map off in ur new maps. they have random mountains, clumps of bushes and shit. and this was basically all the maps too. would it make a difference to perfermance if that was changed?

btw for any1 that wants to try it

on training teleport ur self 200 upwards then spawn a vtol, fly around and youll see all this extra unnecessary SHIT everywhere
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptySat May 30, 2009 5:07 am

yeah alot of maps are like that

omg you should see the unnecessary shit in um um um um.. fuckin.. whats that IA map called where its like on the foresty area/cliff and theres a tiny bit of water and we always have fisties on it?
the map has unnecessary shit STRETCHING FARTHER THAN THE EYE CAN SEE like you can even leave the level to keep going and explore or fly high enough in a vtol

obviously though alot of the terrain has to be far away to be nicely decorating but a shitton of mountains could be removed and unnecessary trees. no one should be paying attention to the outside of the level anyways
Back to top Go down
ifweavfnya

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptySat May 30, 2009 5:13 am

Wounded wrote:
yeah go do it on stranded thats 1 of the best levels to see the shit they put in

just make sure you don't remove the giant face Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jarhead

PostSubject: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptySat May 30, 2009 5:31 am

Giant Face?

l remember some1 telling me about that l tinks....

l tink it was you clerk...
Back to top Go down
ifweavfnya

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptySat May 30, 2009 5:41 am

Back to top Go down
Shinanigans
Shinanigans

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptySat May 30, 2009 8:40 am

haha yeah there is a lot of shit on the maps, but if it's just terrain then it generally doesn't impact on performance. Removing all the distant mountains might net you a 5% gain in performance, but if there's trees on it that you can't even see because they're so far away then that's where decent gains can be made.

A big problem i've found with a lot of the maps are that the trees aren't going into a lower level of detail at a distance so the game is having to render 5000 trees at uber high quality when you can't even really see them. I got some really good gains out of Crossroads because of this issue.
Back to top Go down
your dog
FTW Clan Member
your dog

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptySat May 30, 2009 9:21 am

that IA map i mentioned before has a random boat in the water in a place you could never possibly see it.
take a look n youll see what i meant, its like east on the map from where the action takes place
Back to top Go down
ColdPreacher
ColdPreacher

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance EmptySat May 30, 2009 1:46 pm

crytek really knew how to make fucking maps lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Better Wars Performance   Better Wars Performance Empty

Back to top Go down

Better Wars Performance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top