Clan FTW Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECEIVING DATA.............Hey Nomad, you're still with us? https://twitter.com/Crysis We're back Baby!

Share | 

New AVP game banned in Australia...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dalek
Dalek

New AVP game banned in Australia... Empty
PostSubject: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:44 pm

'In the '80s-era action film Predator, Austrian beefcake and now California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger famously quipped, "If it bleeds, we can kill it." Well it seems Australia's Classification Board didn't like the amount of bleeding present in Sega's upcoming Aliens vs. Predator reboot for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, killing the game down under by refusing it classification (effectively banning the game for sale).

The latest banning comes in the same week that the massively multiplayer online game CrimeCraft was refused classification for showing positive effects from in-game drug use. In Aliens vs. Predator's case, however, it seems violence was the key offender, with a Classification Board spokesperson confirming to GameSpot AU that the game's bloody content was to blame.

Sega Australia has confirmed the banning and has not ruled out appealing the decision. "SEGA Australia can today confirm that the initial submission of Aliens vs Predator has been refused classification by the Classification Operations Board of Australia. We will continue to investigate all options available to us, including the possibility of appeal," the company said in an e-mailed statement.

An appeal could be the only way Aliens vs. Predator will make it into Australia, if press reports last month are anything to go by. According to sites such as Game Informer, Sega Europe has already decided not to tone down the violence in the game in order to get it past German censors. In previous game bans in Australia, some developers have opted to make changes to their games in order to pass the classification process, with the most recent example being the toned-down version of Left 4 Dead 2 that Valve was forced to release down under when the original, unedited version was banned.

GameSpot AU has requested a full copy of the board's decision but had not received it at the time of publication. Keep it locked to GameSpot for further updates.

UPDATE: The Classification Board has now released its official ruling to GameSpot AU, and it seems it was indeed Aliens vs. Predator's high-impact violence which caused it to be banned.

"The game contains first-person perspective, close-up depictions of human characters being subjected to various types of violence, including explicit decapitation and dismemberment as well as locational damage such as stabbing through the chest, mouth, throat, or eyes," the board report stated.

"Characters can be stabbed with a Predator's wrist blade or an Alien's tail in depictions reminiscent of impalement. The Predator collects 'trophies' by explicitly ripping off human heads, their spinal columns dangling from severed necks. Heads can be twisted completely around in order to break a character's neck. Eyes can be stabbed through or gouged, leaving empty, bloodied eye sockets.

"It is noted that a player is able to combine manoeuvres together in quick succession, which further increases impact; for example, a Predator can stab a character through both eyes with its wrist blade and rip off their head, with spinal column still attached. Extensive post-mortem damage, including decapitation and dismemberment, is also possible." '

Source: http://au.gamespot.com/news/6241970.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Seriously, the classification board is wildly inconsistent and the Michael Atkinson cunt should just fuck off and let us have our R rating.

discuss.

Quoted from Jekken6, on the escapist forums: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.159399?page=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Opinion: I was looking forward to this game and its a bugger that its not being released (as of current info)
Back to top Go down
buckethead121
Senior FTW Member
buckethead121

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 3:32 am

Hahahah sucks to be you Aussies, overreacting goverement
Back to top Go down
Dalek
Dalek

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 5:14 am

Rebellion Responds to AvP Ban in Australia

Rebellion has zinged the Australian government for refusing a classification for the upcoming FPS Aliens vs. Predator, saying it's "disappointed" by the decision but won't release a censored version for the Australian market.

Australia's Classification Board is at it again, deciding yesterday that Aliens vs. Predator, due out in 2010, was too graphically violent for gamers Down Under. The board objected to the "explicit decapitation and dismemberment, as well as locational damage such as stabbing through the chest, throat, mouth or eyes." The board paid particular attention to the Predator, which "can stab a character through both eyes with its wrist blade, and then rip off their head, with spinal column still attached."

In response, Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley issued a statement defending the game and chiding the Australian government for treating adult gamers like children. "Rebellion is disappointed that its upcoming title Aliens vs. Predator has been banned in Australia," he said. "However, as we understand the law in that country the authorities had no choice as we agree strongly that our game is not suitable for game players who are not adults."

"The content of AvP is based on some of the most innovative and iconic horror movies, and as such we wanted to create a title that was true to the source material," he continued. "It is for adults, and it is bloody and frightening, that was our intent. We will not be releasing a sanitized or cut down version for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices."

Is it just me or has 2009 been kind of a rough year for Australian gamers? Left 4 Dead 2, Risen, Necrovision, CrimeCraft, F.E.A.R. 2 (which was late 2008, yes, but close enough), Michael Atkinson's threatened appeal of the MA15+ rating for Modern Warfare 2 and now this: It seems to me like the anti-gaming forces are really on a roll. It's also interesting to note that on the same day the Classification Board refused a classification for Aliens vs. Predator, it gave the thumbs-up to POV Juggf*ckers 2.

Aliens vs. Predator is scheduled for release on the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in February 2010. (But not in Australia.)

Back to top Go down
DaemonFTW

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 4:00 am

Way to stem pirating, I know where I'll be getting my copy from
Back to top Go down
Dessicrater
Senior FTW Member

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 6:41 am

The board paid particular attention to the Predator, which "can stab a character through both eyes with its wrist blade, and then rip off their head, with spinal column still attached

ahaha classic! Are these people aged 70 and over? nah they couldnt be...most of those people would remember the war and agree its nothing as bad.

Must be 50 yr old hippies who agree on the violence thing.

Anyway michael atkinson won't be getting that many gamer votes...I think he doesn't realise the gaming industry is THE largest industry in digital media these days and there is massive revenue available for the industry. Come on SA, get in gear and piss this fucker off
Back to top Go down
Dalek
Dalek

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Everyone check this out, the AVP story made it onto ABC news, check it out:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2009/12/10/2768026.htm
Back to top Go down
DaemonFTW

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 1:26 pm

I now hate Michael Atkinson even more
Back to top Go down
ColdPreacher
ColdPreacher

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 4:45 am

whens it being released? glad they decided to actually fucking release it
Back to top Go down
Lilboots

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 6:35 am

did anyone here get into avp2???
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilbooty.com
buckethead121
Senior FTW Member
buckethead121

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:57 am

I am i still think i got my copies of avp 1 and avp 2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New AVP game banned in Australia...   New AVP game banned in Australia... Empty

Back to top Go down

New AVP game banned in Australia...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top