Clan FTW Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RECEIVING DATA.............Hey Nomad, you're still with us? https://twitter.com/Crysis We're back Baby!

Share | 

Heard of OnLive gaming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

Heard of OnLive gaming? Empty
PostSubject: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 2:15 pm

I just heard of this new technology from these guys in california who created this device that requires no cd no instalation and only needs a high speed net connection to play on high games like wars scratch confused?

"All that's required is a low cost "micro console" or a low end PC and a broadband internet connection."

from the creaters of OnLive who have been "secretly" working on this for 7 years with other big companies

haven't read it all so i'll let you guys decide its potentional before I jam my opinions into your throats

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2009/03/onlive_makes_pc_upgrades_extinct_lets_you_play_crysis_on_your_tv-2.html

video
http://au.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/?series=on-the-spot&event=on_the_spot20090324
Back to top Go down
sErBz

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

hmm sounds good though im having some doubts.. firstly the 60fps thing imo is bs, which is why i will be playing on my computer lol. secondly wont this just be a shitload of downloads? like fucken downloading video the whole time...
Back to top Go down
cHr0n0sPh3r3

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 2:45 pm

basically streaming your game to your PC, it wont work in aus because of our shitty internets >.<
Back to top Go down
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 2:49 pm

well by the time it arrives here it might work, just like how we spend hundreds of dollars to get that extra fps and if you play games online and spend alot on them then most likely you have a reasonable internet connection
Back to top Go down
GazzFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 4:26 pm

hmmmm... pretty much like running the game off their servers and it decompresses as it comes to u... hmm me think s that ur gonna be paying ALOT of money for the server usage.. not so much the console thinga ma jig
Back to top Go down
Carts
FTW Clan Member

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 11:32 pm

it can/will work in Australia, it just brings the resolution and quality down by how good your net is. And im sure India and Node will do some deal for it. If there is a high demand. I was gonna post this yesterday, but cbf'd.

Also karma, i think you need a low end computer AND the console. Pretty sure i read that. :S
Back to top Go down
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:37 am

"All that's required is a low cost "micro console" or a low end PC and a broadband internet connection."

i was told by my brother that you can even use your tv as another way to use it; like if i have a few mates come over my house i can use my pc and he the tv

another thing thats weird is the modding community
Back to top Go down
GazzFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 3:51 am

yeah bro these guys would make a fortune... i think that gfx might have to be sacrificed though.. unless it could kinda work in junction with ur computer (if ur using one) gfx and cpu usage maybe...
Back to top Go down
Dessicrater
Senior FTW Member

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 5:42 am

so basically you only need a controller/keyboard and it'll send your commands to thier server which will transfer video back to you of what your doing....jeezus...how would that work? It'd have to be instant in the likes of an FPS or you'd be stuffed
Back to top Go down
GazzFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 5:51 am

yeah now that u say that... wonder wat every1s ping would be like if its online miltiplayer??.. hit reg and lag outs.. hmmmm
Back to top Go down
ifweavfnya

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 8:14 am

This should (in theory) stop all cheaters, but unless the video is greatly compressed without quality loss the the lag of the image appearing on your screen will be massive.
Back to top Go down
Earz4life
Earz4life

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 9:22 am

It seems right in theory, but my guess is it would be totaly impractical. The server owner would need one hell of a server computer to be able to hold up EVERY player on the server and id think it would be waaaaaaay to expensive to run it. Lag would be impossibly large, but would let u play mods and custom maps without everyone needing to download it.....
Back to top Go down
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am

and as it is only in beta players cant play each other on different coast's e.g being melbourne players can't play someone in perth
Back to top Go down
ifweavfnya

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:12 pm

this is the fundamental problem with the system and why it will never take off in australia for a long time:

If you run standard definition (and who wants to do that) it uses a download speed of 1.5megabits/sec
so for 1/2hrs of gameplay you use 1.5mbps*8bits/byte*60secs*30mins=337.5megabytes for only HALF AN HOUR

and if you want ro play in a higher resolution (5megabits/sec) then it uses 1.125GIGS for half an hour of gameplay

which is just rediculous
Back to top Go down
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 am

im sure it won't consume that much in half an hour
Back to top Go down
DaemonFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 2:18 am

and then what happens if someone decides to upload fucking photos to facebook. No single player then either.
Back to top Go down
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 2:19 am

actually their is single player, its just run of the server like multiplayer if that what u mean't
Back to top Go down
DaemonFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 2:25 am

that's it :-)
Back to top Go down
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 12:40 pm

okz my bad
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Senior FTW Member
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Well... i feel asleep literally at 25mins... waking up to having the video end lol.

I skimmed through it though soon after and its very interesting.

If the internet/ Companies can create even faster internet and make cable as a society norm of connection with minimum cost this will be good. That is only to reassure the connection.

Also in my opinion as many others here have suggested, it will be very costly. A reasonable plan/prepaid marketing scheme will have it benefit them in regards to consumers.

But other than that.. Looks awesome! and I hope they pull it through for this will revolutionize gaming for sure.
Back to top Go down
KarmaFTW
KarmaFTW

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 2:40 pm

yeah maybe more of a better image of video games than what is always shown on the news
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heard of OnLive gaming?   Heard of OnLive gaming? Empty

Back to top Go down

Heard of OnLive gaming?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top